Re: [LUG] apt-getting apps from newer repos?

2008/12/15 Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I have been toying with the idea of upgrading it to 8.10, but had a
> fairly bad experience upgrading a completely plain 8.04 to 8.10 - as an
> experiment I installed 8.04 on the desktop and upgraded it to 8.10... it
> didn't go very well, so I installed 8.10 from scratch.

You could install 8.10 over the top of 8.04 on your laptop. Just make
sure you DONT reformat and the installer will clean out all the
directories (/bin /etc etc) but leave your home folder untouched.

> Now, I might be daft, but I'm not stupid.  I understand about
> dependencies, but how can cups be a dependency of network-manager?!

It isnt. It's a byproduct of a dependant package you will install as a
result of upgrading NM.

Cheers,
Al.