[LUG] apt-getting apps from newer repos?

Hi all,

Today, quite by accident, I found that Ubuntu 8.10's network manager
recognises my N95 as a "mobile internet device" and will easily allow me
to connect to the Internet (through 3, amongst a wealth of others)
through it.  Just what I've been looking for.  However, that's on my
desktop machine.  My laptop is running 8.04.1.

I have been toying with the idea of upgrading it to 8.10, but had a
fairly bad experience upgrading a completely plain 8.04 to 8.10 - as an
experiment I installed 8.04 on the desktop and upgraded it to 8.10... it
didn't go very well, so I installed 8.10 from scratch.

I have added 8.10's repos to my sources.list and added the following to
/etc/apt/preferences:
    Package: *
    Pin: release a=intrepid
    Pin-Priority: 100

So, hopefully any intrepid repos will be looked upon unfavourably.  I
just ran:
    apt-get install -t intrepid network-manager network-manager-gnome
to install the 8.10 network manager tools and it came up with this:

capplets-data cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common
cups-driver-gutenprint cupsddk cupsddk-drivers cupsys cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client cupsys-common cupsys-driver-gutenprint findutils gconf2
gconf2-common gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-control-center
gnome-screensaver gnome-settings-daemon gnustep-base-common
gnustep-base-runtime gnustep-common gnustep-gui-common
gnustep-gui-runtime gtk2-engines-pixbuf hal-cups-utils hpijs hplip
hplip-data kdelibs4c2a libasound2 libc6 libc6-amd64 libc6-dev
libc6-dev-amd64 libc6-i686 libcairo2 libcamel1.2-14 libcanberra-gtk0
libcanberra0 libcups2 libcups2-dev libcupsimage2 libcupsys2-dev
libdbus-1-qt3 libebook1.2-9 libedataserver1.2-11 libeel2-2 libgconf2-4
libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11-dev libglib2.0-0 libgnome-desktop-2-7
libgnome-window-settings1 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecups1.0-1
libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd3 libgnomekbdui3 libgnomeprint2.2-0
libgnomeprint2.2-data libgnustep-base1.16 libgnustep-gui0.14 libgnutls26
libgs8 libgtk2.0-0 libgtkhtml2-0 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libgtkhtml3.8-15
libgucharmap7 libgutenprint2 libgweather1 libijs-0.35 libilmbase6
libltdl7 libnm-glib0 libnm-util0 libopenexr6 libpam-runtime
libpam-smbpass libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common libpcsclite1
libpixman-1-0 libpolkit-dbus2 libpolkit2 libpoppler3 libpopt0
libselinux1 libsoup2.4-1 libsqlite3-0 libtalloc1 libwbclient0
libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-render0 libxi-dev libxi6 libxklavier12
nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-share network-manager-kde python-cups
python-cupshelpers python-usb samba samba-common smbclient splix
ubuntu-system-service winbind wpasupplicant x11proto-input-dev

Now, I might be daft, but I'm not stupid.  I understand about
dependencies, but how can cups be a dependency of network-manager?!

I'm confused.

Grant.