Re: [LUG] apt-getting apps from newer repos?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:52:01 +0000
"Alan Pope" <alan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2008/12/15 Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > So... updating a GTK application (network-manager-gnome) requires
> > that GTK be updated, which in-turn requires that CUPS be updated?
> >
> > How on earth does CUPS depend on GTK?!
> >

> It isn't always as direct as that.

Actually, it usually is just that simple. Gtk uses symbols from
libcups2. Gtk won't run without those symbols. The only reason that
Grant noticed anything was because both cups and gtk have been updated
in the new repo.

> You can see from below that Ubuntu 8.04 has libcups 1.3.7, ergo it
> needs to be updated to satisfy libgtk and network-manager-gnome.

True.

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libcups&searchon=names&suite=hardy&section=all
>
> I'd just do a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 over the top.

No, there is generally no need for that. Debian deliberately supports
migrating between library versions. Sometimes, Ubuntu break that
support by sticking to arbitrary release deadlines (Debian, famously,
does not respect any time-based deadlines) but, mostly, it does continue
to work.

--

Neil Williams