Re: [LUG] apt-getting apps from newer repos?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:44:46 +0000
"Alan Pope" <alan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2008/12/15 Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Now, I might be daft, but I'm not stupid.  I understand about
> > dependencies, but how can cups be a dependency of network-manager?!
> >

> It isnt. It's a byproduct of a dependant package you will install as a
> result of upgrading NM.

Depends on the levels of indirection. Network-manager has a list of
direct dependencies - gtk among them. Gtk has a list of direct
dependencies - cups among them. Therefore, network-manager indirectly
depends on cups.

Check the output of objdump -p against the relevant shared objects.

The answer is there - based around the need for Gtk to be able to
generate a "common print preview / print setup" interface.

--

Neil Williams