Re: [LUG] little Linux story...

Hi

Why are we not just using:

System, Administration, Synaptic, package Manager, sun-java-6-whatever?

As regards root, Ubuntu is different.  I think most distro's set you up
as root, and then ask you to set up ones main user.  One can be clever
with Ubuntu but normally all one needs to do  is sudo and use ones main
password.  I am not sure if root is actually set up by default.  I think
you must "activate" the account and supply a password.  (System,
Administration, Users and Groups).

It seems to me that we are making something really simple complicated.

All the best

Peter L-J