Re: [LUG] I thought this might get a bit of a reaction

Julian Hall wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> most used as most used and industry standard are not the same thing
>>
> e.g. how big is a megabyte?  Among others hard disk manufacturers will
> tell you 1000Kb but even Microsoft now subscribe to the mathematical
> binary definition of 1024Kb.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I have always thought of

1k as 1024 bytes, and therefore 1 megabyte as 1024 x 1024 bytes, hence
the old floppy disks were 1.44 megabytes

i think with a hard disk even a 512 megabyte disk, is actually less than
1024x1024x512 when formatted due to the file system, which i think has
caused a few arguments, so advertingsing as 1000k, means its actually
bigger than that, even when you take into account the formatted file
system, less likely to prompt complaints

otherwise advertising something as 2.0 gigabytes, if smaller is a breach
of advertising rules as it a false description or something,

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
DCLUG - chat

 next meet - TBA