Re: [LUG] I thought this might get a bit of a reaction

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:16:45PM +0000, Steve Lee wrote:
> > Well so long as there are people out there insist on sending out docx
> > format files on the assumption i have (and more annoying can afford)
> > both windows and office 07, i am stick with having to have open office
> > software installed,
>
> Perhaps it is more default settings in MSOffice and lack of awareness?
> There a need for general education on why open standards matter.
> And not just a knee jerk reaching for the Export as PDF function either.

I'd rather PDF than docx, personally; I rarely need to edit the things I
get as docx (course notes and so on), and at least PDF *is* an open
standard.

Of course, most of the things that people use docx/pdf for could be
represented as plaintext, or at a push HTML, with no loss of
information.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0