Re: [LUG] I thought this might get a bit of a reaction

Rob Beard wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 09 December 2008 20:45, Steve Lee wrote:
>>
>>> http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html
>>>
>>> </fx="runs fast" />
>>>
>> No need to run - we know there are ignorant people out there.
>> I mean for christs sake - some linux users seem to think that Office software
>> is somehow of use to them!
>> Tom te tom te tom

Well so long as there are people out there insist on sending out docx
format files on the assumption i have (and more annoying can afford)
both windows and office 07, i am stick with having to have open office
software installed, I have open office installed and this is one of the
reasons i upgraded to lenny to get docx format support (its easier than
arguing about saving as an older format),

if push came to shove, i would probably send the document back and say
this is not readable, please use ASCII

I want to move away from over reliance on things like open office, but
have to use it so I can read stuff people send me (job applications for
example) I don't mind this but having a whole office suite installed
when i don't use 90 percent of it seems crazy. I am starting to learn
LaTeX, as best I can, txt2tags is another useful program that I can use
to do quite complex documents with ease, lyx should make LaTeX a bit
easier.

I will have to download that doc to txt script, and use that, see what
reaction that prompts, :)

I think I am finally able to dump windows, given my lenny install is
currently pretty shaky, is running the 2.6.18 kernel (don't ask) I think
its in need of a clean start, and its an excuse to dump windows, no
longer need it, if it isn't installed people will have to start to
accept every computer in the world does NOT run Windows.

I may simply go for Ubuntu, 8.10 seems to work, fine on my hardware, so
hopefully after some testing and playing i can migrate.

I don't want to start the arugment of which distro to use,

Paul

> I'd certainly be interested to see what the outcome of his meeting is.
> I don't think that teacher realises that even though she's confiscated
> the poor student's discs, he can make more.
>
> Rob

On the other hand

If the head teacher is equally mis guided, he could face expulsion for
piracy, which could result in the school being sued, which would make a
rather interesting court case, as he would say he was distributing Open
source, which I am leagally able to do so.

Would make the school look rather stupid that wouldn't it. Lets hope
senior staff at the school are not as mis guided. Or perhaps the
opposite, the OSS community needs something like this to really raise
awareness, as a court case would do so,

This is where the community can step in and add weight to the idea that
OSS is legal. and back people up who are facing these issues.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
DCLUG - chat

 next meet - TBA