Re: [LUG] Netgear routers - local DNS

Simon Williams wrote:
>> Rob Beard wrote:
>>> b) Get a Linksys WRT54GS or similar and run OpenWRT on it (they're
>>> quiet as mice). c) Get maybe one of those other Linksys devices,
>>> the NSLU2? and run Debian on it (again, another quiet option I
>>> would expect).
>
> I don't trust Linksys anymore. Back when I was first trying to get a
> router with a 100Mbps internet port they lied to me (or more accurately,
> they utterly failed with version management, and so I was looking at a
> V4 datasheet (the only one available), but a V2 device- if they change
> hardware specs that someone might care about then they should update the
> model number on the front- even just append "v4" to it, instead of
> hiding it underneath). So I ended up buying exactly what I didn't want,
> and had to sell it and start the search again. Maybe they're a great
> company, but how can I be sure that their datasheets will be correct now?

Not sure what the WAN port speed is on the WRT54G, I've not actually got
that bit connected.  At the moment I'm just using the WRT54G as an extra
wireless network.

It does however happily work as a DNS/DHCP server (although it's
currently disabled).

>>> d) Get a Viglen MPC-L and run something on that.
> I've been wondering about that for a while, but I was hoping that
> Netgear weren't quite so stupid to make me have to buy a new router just
> to do internal DNS.

It appears that some Netgear routers will support custom firmwares but I
haven't tried it myself.  My Netgear router is the main source of
internet for me and I don't want to risk breaking it.  To be honest
though, the cheap Netgear and Linksys routers are aimed at home / small
businesses who's needs aren't usually that great.

<snip>

> However, this cheap Netgear rubbish just forwards the request straight
> to the ISP, without checking for local names (because it's not keeping
> track of any- it just assigns IP address by DHCP and forgets who has what).

I think it's partly a case of you get what you pay for.

As mentioned above, not everyone is looking for something that provides
local DNS.  If it's such a problem surely you could pickup a cheap
SpeedTouch router off eBay for a few quid and sell the Netgear?

Rob