Re: [LUG] Netgear routers - local DNS

Rob Beard wrote:
> Simon Williams wrote:
>

>> I want the router to do the DNS. I don't want a server running here (I
>> have to sleep in this room).
>>

> Well looks as though the Netgear router won't do DNS.  Your options
> appear to be either...
>
> a) Live with the problem.
>
> b) Get a Linksys WRT54GS or similar and run OpenWRT on it (they're quiet
> as mice).
>
> c) Get maybe one of those other Linksys devices, the NSLU2? and run
> Debian on it (again, another quiet option I would expect).
>
> or d) Get a Viglen MPC-L and run something on that.
>
> Looking at the prices, I think the Linksys WRT54GS option might be the
> cheapest if you can get the right model (I was lucky enough to get a
> cheap one off a mate).
>
> Rob
Doesn't have to be a WRTable router just to do internal DNS. My router -
shockingly a Speedtouch - does internal DNS and forwards any
un-internally-resolvably DNS requests to my ISP's DNS servers. Didn't
have to update any firmwares or anything. Indeed, the more I look at
some of the routers out there that businesses use, the more I appreciate
just how much my little Speedtouch router does. Came across a Draytek
the other day (I forget which specific model - a Vigor something) that
would do port forwarding, but wouldn't let you change the port numbers
en-route. It's so handy being able to say "incoming port 443 gets
redirected to machine X on port 22".

Grant.