Re: [LUG] Debian (Stable vs Unstable)

Keith Abraham wrote:

> This has a lot to say on the subject and most of the comment is from the
> sidux
> maintainers:-
>
> http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-5542.html

The apt package in sid has had 24 changes since that advice was written.

One of the other advantages of releases is you can be sure which
documentation applies ;)

Certainly some of the reasons not to use "apt-get" have decreased for
the normal Debian user in recent versions of apt, but whilst I use
apt-get out of habit, aptitude is the tool of choice as I understand it.

By default aptitude will grab recommended package and do better
dependency resolution. Of course if your dependencies are stuffed, such
that no good solution exists, like they often are in Sid, then the
solution aptitude makes might not seem better than apt-get, because it
will try and do more out of the box.