Re: [LUG] Debian (Stable vs Unstable)

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 03:08:54PM +0000, Keith Abraham wrote:
>> From experience it is important with Debian unstable to only use
>> apt-get dist-upgrade
>> when upgrading or prreferably sidux's smxi script. (Aptitude and
>> synaptic etc can lead
>> to problems "down the line".)
>
> I've been using aptitude to upgrade machines running unstable for years
> without a hitch. aptitude is certainly recommended over apt-get, and has
> been for some time now (since sarge was release, iirc).

While Debian recommends the use of Aptitude and Adept when upgrading Debian
stable and testing it deprecates it's use for upgrading sid. Aptitude
can be used to
upgrade sid but you have to keep your eyes open for the occasional silly
things it
will try to do eg.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2007/04/msg00014.html

This sort of thing rarely happens with apt-get.

I've been using sid consistently since 2003 and can affirm the above.
apt-get has caused me the least problems (especially when upgrading X).

Keith