Re: [LUG] Debian (Stable vs Unstable)

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 03:08:54PM +0000, Keith Abraham wrote:
> From experience it is important with Debian unstable to only use
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> when upgrading or prreferably sidux's smxi script. (Aptitude and
> synaptic etc can lead
> to problems "down the line".)

I've been using aptitude to upgrade machines running unstable for years
without a hitch. aptitude is certainly recommended over apt-get, and has
been for some time now (since sarge was release, iirc).

> Upgrades arrive quite quickly in Debian sid and if you're bent on
> keeping up to date
> it's wise to join a forum like sidux to be appraised of upgrade warnings
> and fixes.

Sid is fine if you're aware that there can occasionally be upgrades that
you're not ready for (major version bumps and so on). If you don't want
that, either use a stable release or be very careful when upgrading.

I'd suggest that the best thing to do for a server is to use Stable,
then add backports for the packages you want newer versions of.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0