Re: [LUG] Netgear routers - local DNS

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 08:14 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:23:27 +0000
> Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Simon,
>
> > I want the router to do the DNS. I don't want a server running here (I
>
> In which case, you're out of luck;  The Netgear won't do DNS itself.
>
> > have to sleep in this room).
>
> I know the feeling.   :-(

I don't know much about this stuff either, so I maybe barking up the
wrong tree on the wrong planet... I don't really understand why the
option to automatically use the ISP's DNS server isn't OK for you. For
your local network under LAN IP Setup there is the option "Use Router As
DHCP Server" and then the specify a range of addresses, ie. 10.0.0.1 to
10.0.0.200, which should take care of your LAN. Then under "Dynamic
DNS", also something I know nothing about, you have the option to
subscribe to a dynamic dns service. The one suggested in the help panel
has a free service option. (My router is netgear DG834G). Is this the
sort of thing that helps? Sorry if my tree is in the wrong forest.

www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Simon