Re: [LUG] External Hard Drives - any to avoid?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Looking to get a disk to store backups of various things on, not least
> whilst I finally get around to a long overdue reinstall of my desktop box.
>
> I'm thinking the local Tesco's last few Maxtor 500GB hard drives look
> good value, and barely more than one would pay retail for a comparable
> SATA drive.
>
> Call me a skeptic but anyone seeing issues with the very high density
> disks available? Anyone recommend for or against any devices. I mean the
> important data I can also burn to CD, that which isn't already on two
> computers, both with mirroring.....
>
> Otherwise it looks like yet another trip to Tesco's.

We've had pretty good luck with Maxtor drives but as Rob said, lots of
little files can be problematic.  All removable drives I have
encountered are prone to issues via usb.  I have had much better
resiliency with firewire and or ethernet.

The only drives I have not yet experienced any issues with are Lacie
drives. www.lacie.com

regards,

KevinT