Re: [LUG] External Hard Drives - any to avoid?

2008/10/21 Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Looking to get a disk to store backups of various things on, not least
> whilst I finally get around to a long overdue reinstall of my desktop box.
>
> I'm thinking the local Tesco's last few Maxtor 500GB hard drives look
> good value, and barely more than one would pay retail for a comparable
> SATA drive.
>
> Call me a skeptic but anyone seeing issues with the very high density
> disks available? Anyone recommend for or against any devices. I mean the
> important data I can also burn to CD, that which isn't already on two
> computers, both with mirroring.....

I'd suggest avoiding the Packard Bell Store and Save, I had one it had
intermittent file corruption problems
and was unreliable using both XP and Linux, but seemed to work nicely
on whatever setup they had at pcworld so no refund.

I'm thinking I should have done the sensible thing and shelled out for
a nice reliable raid enclosure instead as I no longer trust this drive
at all.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk