Re: [LUG] 64 Bit for new laptop.

Ray Smith wrote:
> After finally getting ubuntu hardy to install I am thinking of trying a 64
> bit version on my athlon amd64.
> Is it just a case of downloading the correct iso ?
>
> I read flash doesn't come in a 64 bit version. Is that still the case or
> could gnash be installed instead ?

You can install Flash, I can't for the life of me remember how I did it
now but there should be some instructions either in the Ubuntu Forums or
on the wiki.  IIRC there is a package - something like flashplugin-nonfree

I do find though that Flash uses 99% of my CPU (well one of the cores)
occasionally.  Not sure if it's related to the fact I'm using NVidia
drivers or what.  When Intrepid comes out I'm most probably going to go
back to an ATI video card.

> I'm worried about other gotcha's as well.
> For instance, can 32 bit drivers or programs be installed on a 64 bit linux
> os (as in windows) if 64 bit versions are unavailable, or must it always be
> 64 ?

 From what I gather from using 64-bit Linux for a while now, 32-bit
applications WILL work as long as you have the 32-bit libraries
installed (package name ia32-libs I think).  I don't think 32-bit
drivers will work though, generally they'd have to be compiled for your
kernel anyway, so if you can't find drivers for hardware then chances
are you can compile the source and it will *hopefully* work.

I can't say I've had any major problems.  Ubuntu has a fair few drivers
installed anyway so I can use things like my printers (Epson Stylus
Photo R200 & Samsung CLX-2160), webcams (various no-name web cams) and
pen drives fine.

> Seperately, wireless isn't working but I am looking at a hacked driver for
> my current install and opengl flickers with x1250 radeon and fglrx,although
> again there are workarounds.

You might find that there are supported drivers in Intrepid which is
released next week.  Not sure about the flickering, I believe there are
Open Source drivers available for ATI Radeon X1250's, www.phoronix.com
is a good source of information about video drivers and stuff.

> In the meantime I have moved my router into the living room so I can plug in
> a network cable directly to get internet access from linux.

Ahh you can't beat a good old network cable :-)

Rob