Re: [LUG] karoshi was Authenticating user logons with LDAP on Ubuntu 8.04

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:34 PM, james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 15:40 +0100, Kevin Tunison wrote:
>
>> This project may be quite well-suited to what it is being done:
>> http://karoshi.linuxgfx.co.uk/
>> It is based around schools, but has its uses.
> This looks interesting to try out on an older machine for home use. It
> requires DHCP to be disabled if I tried it out on my network though I
> could just connect it to another computer for the trial.
>
> Do you use it Kevin?
>
> Is anyone else interested in trying it out?

I used to implement and contribute when I worked within the Plymouth
School district, but that has not been since late 2006.  That
environment involved two 'server' towers, and about 40 xp workstations
with roaming profiles.  The CMS and wiki have been incorporated since
my last use of it.  The project has moved on quite a bit since then,
and much more has been automated for a user-friendly 'touch-once, then
GUI administrate by non-tech staff' environment.  The part I helped
with was mostly to incorporate existing xp workstations/roaming
profiles with (Xen?) as an active directory/ldap member to a windows
domain (which involved getting kerberos up so the file server could
authenticate file requests against the DC).

The project is based out of Kent.  I'm not sure if they've ever
managed to get a stall at BECTA but it was on their agenda.

The original server outlay is quite heavy, so what would be nice (as
I'm slowly becoming a vm addict) is to get one hefty box, and
virtualize the entire environment...

Regards,

KevinT