[LUG] Authenticating user logons with LDAP on Ubuntu 8.04

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if someone could advise me on this.  I'm trying to
authenticate users an Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop using LDAP.

I've tried following a couple of guides including these two:

http://linuxadministration.us/2008/05/17/ubuntu-804-hardy-ldap-client/
http://boilinglinux.blogspot.com/2008/10/howto-configure-ubuntu-804-hardy-ldap.html

Using the second guide I got as far as running 'getent passwd' from a
terminal when logged on as a local user and it does list the passwd file
(or at least something that looks like the passwd file) on the server.
I can also get information about the users with ldapsearch.

The problem is, when I try and login at the Ubuntu login screen (or at
the login prompt on the text console) it doesn't recognise the user, or
at least it comes up with an incorrect password.

I just wondered if anyone had any details of how to set this up.  I'm
not sure if it helps but the userPassword is set to crypt (with a load
of extra characters next to it, which I presume is the password encrypted).

Below are details of the /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/ldap/ldap.conf:

# /etc/ldap.conf

host officeserver.somedomain.homelinux.org
base dc=somedomain,dc=homelinux,dc=org
uri ldap://officeserver.somedomain.homelinux.org/
ldap_version 3
bindpw secret
rootbinddn cn=root,dc=somedomain,dc=homelinux,dc=org
bind_policy soft
pam_filter objectclass=Users
pam_login_attribute uid
pam_password crypt # I was using pam_password md5
nss_initgroups_ignoreusers
avahi,avahi-autoipd,backup,bin,daemon,dhcp,games,gdm,gnats,haldaemon,hplip,irc,klog,libuuid,list,lp,mail,man,messagebus,news,polkituser,proxy,pulse,root,sync,sys,syslog,uucp,www-data
# ---- end of /etc/ldap.conf

# /etc/ldap/ldap.conf
BASE    dc=somedomain,dc=homelinux,dc=org
URI     ldap://officeserver.somedomain.homelinux.org
# ---- end of /etc/ldap/ldap.conf

Both /etc/hosts on the client machine and the DNS on my DNS server point
officeserver.somedomain.homelinux.org to the internal IP address
(192.168.0.180) and it can ping fine.

I did also try authenticating against a Samba 3 domain (both manually
configuring PAM and with Likewise-Open) but that doesn't seem to work
either.

I'm really stumped on this, it's the only thing that's holding back on a
rollout of a Linux server and some Ubuntu desktop machines to replace a
load of XP machines and a Windows 2003 Server.

If anyone could advise on how to resolve this I could be really grateful
as I've spent the past 3 days trying to resolve this.

Ta,

Rob