Re: [LUG] Authenticating user logons with LDAP on Ubuntu 8.04

On Monday 20 October 2008 12:15, Rob Beard wrote:
> Steve James wrote:
> > Those instructions look sane to me. I've never messed with 'bind_policy'
> > before.
> >
> > Make sure you shut down nscd when fiddling with this stuff. It's a sod
> > for tricking you into false assumptions. Keep it shut down until
> > everything is stable.
> >
> > I recommend a simpler ldap.conf. You can make do with only three lines:-
> >
> > base dc=somedomain,dc=homelinux,dc=org
> > uri ldap://officeserver.somedomain.homelinux.org/
> > ldap_version 3
> >
> > I note that you have both 'host' and 'uri' fields set. Don't do that!
>
> Ahh I see.
>
> > I wouldn't bind as 'root'. Use a dedicated LDAP admin account, say
> > 'admin', with a unique password. Beware that any client workstation
> > administrator can see this password.
>
> Okay.  Got to work that out now, in phpldapadmin I have three users
> under the Users ou - rob, admin and joe.bloggs
>
> Although I presume it's not here that I should be specifying users?
>
> I did managed to get a bit further, turns out the password I was putting
> in ldap.secret was wrong.  I managed to extract the password out of the
> phpldapadmin config files but again that's using the root account.
>
> > Unless you require a user to be able to make a change to her password
> > from the client workstation, I wouldn't bind with admin privileges at
> > all. You can then dispense with /etc/ldap.secret and you can be sure that
> > the LDAP database can only be modified centrally. I let users change
> > password using Usermin running on the LDAP server (or it could be on a
> > separate, privileged machine)
>
> The server actually has an web interface for changing passwords which is
> handy.  However I did try taking out the authentication but it didn't
> seem to accept it.  Strange thing is that Thunderbird will pick up
> entries from ldap when I use a basedn of  dn=somedomain,dn=homelinux,dn=org
>
> > If getent(1) returns a valid entry, then your libnss has bound to LDAP
> > OK. You should also find that file ownerships (ls -l) are correctly
> > reported. But if you can't login, PAM isn't binding. What's in
> > /var/log/auth.log?
>
> Well when I login as a local user getent was working okay.  It wasn't
> authenticating, not sure if this was because I was using the root
> account or what.  I then tried logging on which worked to a point, I
> could login, the home directory was created but it would logout straight
> away.  The .xsession-errors file mentioned something about user ??? not
> existing.
>
> Trying to login to the console itself would allow me to login (after I
> did a symbolic link from /bin/bash to /usr/bin/rssh) but it would
> complain about group 500 and 5000 and then come up with something like:
>
> I have no name!@testbox:/$
>
> > You can serve {crypt} or {md5} (and others) from your LDAP database and
> > of course PAM must correspond. I recommend the phpldapadmin package for
> [...]
Best of luck with this - could I beg for a precis after you've done?
I've felt for a long time that LDAP should really be configured as the defacto
security setup for any system so you can expand smoothly without any real
fault lines.
If we can get an idiots guide that works first time mos of the time....
Tom te tom te tom