Re: [LUG] Dishing out OpenOffice and Ubuntu was Re: Happy Birthday Linux - Linux is 17!

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>

>> With the added advantage that Openoffice runs on both, Openoffice 3.0
>> should have better support for office 2007 file formats anyway,  as long
>> as you show people how to save in office formats (not 2007 as not
>> everyone has that),  then they can send stuff externally.
>>
>> If you are giving people ubuntu now, don't forget to follow up with a
>> copy of 8.10 when its out. near the end of the month (hopefully)
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Yep, hopefully OpenOffice.org is going to be out on 13th October too.
>
> I'm currently running OOo on a couple of machines at my client's place.
>   One of their offices has Vista and Office 2007 and the other has
> Windows XP and Office XP.  As you can imagine it's a nightmare for
> compatibility.
>
> Installing OOo 2.4.1 helped bridge the compatibility gap as it already
> has OOXML importers (although not sure how good they work).

We get sent player lists on xlsx format (despite asking for them in an
older format),  and they open on my ubuntu box fine,  one of the parents
who is helping with admin has also said they have problems with the file
format and was told to upgrade !!!,  anyway she sent file to me, i
converted and then sent it back to her in xls.   I should have a few
copies of theopen disc somewhere so will give those out,  to hopefully
solve these issues,

It just should not happen,   if you have a different version whos
responsibility is it to ensure the file you save is readable.

Paul