Re: [LUG] Happy Birthday Linux - Linux is 17!

Alan Pope wrote:
> 2008/10/10 Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> I wonder if the forced use of Vista at work could constitute constructive
>> dismissal?
>
> I recently had a contract at a customer where they provided me with a
> laptop running XP. Their laptop policy allowed people to install
> alternative OSs on them, so long as they 'support' themselves. I was
> happy with this and as a result installed Ubuntu and all the necessary
> business applications to get my job done. I had no issues at all.
>
> One day during a security audit the auditor noticed I wasn't running
> Windows and after consulting her boss, demanded I remove Ubuntu, and
> she was to sit there and watch me do it. I refused, and told her that
> if she 'forced' me to use XP, I'd give the laptop back.
>
> After they consulted their own rule book, they backed down. Two of us
> used Ubuntu and were as productive (if not more) as a result than
> those around us using Windows.
>
> Separately a few years ago I did some work on a site in the US, and
> took my own laptop which at the time was running Debian. The local IT
> guy queried the antivirus and firewall software I had before he would
> 'let me' on the network. I told him I used Linux and he was perfectly
> happy, and left me well alone. Meanwhile in the Dilbert-style cubicles
> nearby peoples windows machines were going down as some malware was
> making its way around the network. Two of them even left the office to
> play, such was their frustration with their PC. Again, I was more
> productive on Linux than they were on Windows.
>
> YMMV of course :)
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

LOL that's a great story.  I was talking to someone today when I was
sorting out an VPN for a client of mine (well a friend who I'm doing
some work for).  This guy I was talking to said he was interested in
trying Linux for things like the fancy cube desktops (presumably Compiz)
although he was a bit unsure.  So I'm going to give him a copy of Ubuntu
on Monday when I'm next there.  I just wish that they'd seriously
consider ditching Windows (which doesn't have any anti-virus) and move
over solely to Linux.

At the moment I'm trying to get another client out of a fix.  Their
Windows 2003 Server is refusing any more connections (it's run out of
CALs).  Rather than them spend shed loads of money on more CALs I'm
installing Ubuntu Server on VMWare on their main server to prove a point
(and get them out of the fix).  Hopefully this should strengthen the
case for Linux when I explain to them that to sort out their current
licencing issues they'd be looking at about £6000 for MS software and
nowt for Ubuntu and OpenOffice.org on their few remaining Windows
desktops which can't be converted to Linux.

Rob