Re: [LUG] Happy Birthday Linux - Linux is 17!

> LOL that's a great story.  I was talking to someone today when I was
> sorting out an VPN for a client of mine (well a friend who I'm doing
> some work for).  This guy I was talking to said he was interested in
> trying Linux for things like the fancy cube desktops (presumably Compiz)
> although he was a bit unsure.  So I'm going to give him a copy of Ubuntu
> on Monday when I'm next there.  I just wish that they'd seriously
> consider ditching Windows (which doesn't have any anti-virus) and move
> over solely to Linux.
>
> At the moment I'm trying to get another client out of a fix.  Their
> Windows 2003 Server is refusing any more connections (it's run out of
> CALs).  Rather than them spend shed loads of money on more CALs I'm
> installing Ubuntu Server on VMWare on their main server to prove a point
> (and get them out of the fix).  Hopefully this should strengthen the
> case for Linux when I explain to them that to sort out their current
> licencing issues they'd be looking at about £6000 for MS software and
> nowt for Ubuntu and OpenOffice.org on their few remaining Windows
> desktops which can't be converted to Linux.
>
> Rob

With the added advantage that Openoffice runs on both, Openoffice 3.0
should have better support for office 2007 file formats anyway,  as long
as you show people how to save in office formats (not 2007 as not
everyone has that),  then they can send stuff externally.

If you are giving people ubuntu now, don't forget to follow up with a
copy of 8.10 when its out. near the end of the month (hopefully)

Paul