Re: [LUG] Ubuntu - a rabbit in the EULA headlights

Ross Bearman wrote:
> After discussions with Canonical, Mozilla has decided to drop the EULA:
>
> In her blog, Baker wrote, "We've come to understand that anything
> EULA-like is disturbing, even if the content is FLOSS (Free/Libre/Open
> Source Software) based. So we're eliminating that. We still feel that
> something about the web services integrated into the browser is
> needed; these services can be turned off and not interrupt the flow of
> using the browser. We also want to tell people about the FLOSS license
> — as a notice, not as as EULA or use restriction. Again, this won't
> block the flow or provide the unwelcoming feeling that one comment to
> my previous post described so eloquently."
>
> Regards, Ross Bearman

Well I guess in the short term it's good thing but I can't help thinking
that Canonical should really look into a plan B and be ready for Mozilla
  pulling another stunt like this.

I'm seriously thinking about switching to a different distro, my PC
hasn't been stable with Ubuntu 8.04, I'm not sure if it's a combination
of hardware I have (evil Nvidia drivers) or what but it just doesn't
seem stable.  Maybe that'll change with 8.10, maybe not.  I'm thinking
of checking out either Mint (if they have a 64-bit build) or the next
release of Debian.

Rob