[LUG] Ubuntu - a rabbit in the EULA headlights

Debian got this in the neck before Etch and there was loud condemnation
of the reaction but Mozilla are now showing their dragon-like legal
teeth and going after everyone else who DARES to treat Firefox as free
software. Current target: Ubuntu. I see no reason why they will stop
there, Fedora and SUSE are sure to be next, then everyone else. Mozilla
state that nobody is able to modify FireFox without their prior approval
if they still want to call it FireFox. That is not free. To be free
software, the firefox codebase must not use the FireFox branding.
Simple. If you call it FireFox, you must not change a single byte
without getting the change "signed-off" by Mozilla. How can that be
free? That is about as free as Internet Explorer. Gee, I have access to
the firefox source code - but I can't modify it so what is the point?

Firefox is not free software, it has not been free software since before
Debian 4.0 "Etch" was released and it will continue to be non-free until
Mozilla see sense and stop penalising those who are supposed to be on
the same side. (Reminiscent of SCO.)

Ubuntu are complaining but without effect:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/269656/

Unbelievably, Mark Shuttleworth has come down on the side of Mozilla, as
if the retention of the contaminated Firefox brand supports Ubuntu. In
reality, the disease known as EULA is a poison that is weakening Ubuntu
and FireFox has now set a dangerous precedent.

Other respondents have already indicated that this EULA now forces them
to get approval from the corporate legal team for Ubuntu - approval that
Debian would not need - because FireFox is installed by default.
Retaining Firefox in the climate of open hostility now evident from
Mozilla is madness, especially in the default install.

Ubuntu have the easy out - iceweasel is already available to them - but
those in charge of Ubuntu appear to be paralysed in fear at losing
"TheFireFoxBrand" as if it was important.

What *is* important is that free software users (corporate or home) do
not get EULA notices that remind them of Windows, that free software
packages do not make it impossible to derive from Ubuntu by invalidating
the GPL (additional restrictions).

Honestly, I am *so* glad that Debian got this sorted at the first
opportunity. Yes, it was unpopular, it was regrettable, it could be
reversed overnight if Mozilla ever see sense but it WAS the right thing
to do and IMNSHO it IS the right thing for Ubuntu to do.

The word "firefox" is not free - dump it. (Don't think that Thunderbird
is safe either - Mozilla have already said that every additional
restriction that applies to FireFox also applies to Thunderbird.)

I will no longer be recommending Ubuntu. Until Ubuntu drop FireFox, I
regard Ubuntu as non-free. (I stopped recommending FireFox before Etch
was released.) The same is true of Fedora and SUSE and anyone else who
continues to distribute a modified version of FireFox (even if the
modifications are entirely related to the packaging requirements of the
distribution concerned). Firefox on my Aspire1 is doomed - Debian is
imminent.

If you want a decent browser, use epiphany.

By all means use FireFox on Windows - the natural home of the EULA.

--

Neil Williams