Re: [LUG] Ubuntu - a rabbit in the EULA headlights

On Monday 15 September 2008 10:55, Steven Coté wrote:
> > The problem is, though, that there's very little alternative;
>
> Neil mentioned the alternative already. Iceweasel.
> http://www.geticeweasel.org/
>
> I remember when debian first started making noise about this. It seemed
> rather silly at the time, but maybe not so much anymore.
As I wrote before - its Mozilla's trademark and branding.
I don't really see it as a conflict - ice* etc are different products - not by
much but I think its a bit much to ask Mozilla to dance to someone else's
tune here - if someone screws the FireFox brand accidentally or otherwise its
Mozilla who will pay and they haven't got a lot left.
I don't know how Debian would feel if I was to distribute a release of the
biggest meanest virus in the world as a Debian/Ubuntu release but you can
imagine the damage that would cause to Debian/Ubuntu.
Its very easy for developers to make a new name and logo for a tweaked version
of FireFox so perhaps the problem here is people wanting the free software
and the brand.
Perhaps Mozilla are being a bit heavy handed but it seems clear to me that
Debian  people are being hypocritical. Toquote from
Debian
"We allow all businesses to make reasonable use of the "Debian" trademark. For
example, if you make a CD of our Debian GNU/Linux distribution, you can call
that product "Debian". If you want to use the name in some other way, you
should ask us first."
Now is that free? Cos if its not......
Tom te tom te tom