Re: [LUG] Ubuntu - a rabbit in the EULA headlights

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 08:07:49AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Honestly, I am *so* glad that Debian got this sorted at the first
> opportunity. Yes, it was unpopular, it was regrettable, it could be
> reversed overnight if Mozilla ever see sense but it WAS the right thing
> to do and IMNSHO it IS the right thing for Ubuntu to do.

>>From the looks of things, Mozilla are making a habit of making an
agreement ("of course you can use our trademarks!") and then adding
additional restrictions later on ("only if you don't make any
modifications/only if you display this EULA"). If Mozilla had made all
the restrictions clear at the time of the original agreement with
Debian, I suspect Debian would have replaced it pretty promptly, rather
than carrying on with "Debian Firefox" and so on for so long; likewise
with Ubuntu, it sounds like the EULA wasn't mentioned at all when the
original trademark agreement was made, and is only becoming an issue
now, just before a release (when it's probably too late to do much about
it).

The problem is, though, that there's very little alternative; Epiphany
adds dependencies on stacks of Gnome crap without actually adding much
in the way of features (and dropping other features); Konqueror is much
the same, but with KDE and QT instead. I think I'll just stick to lynx
for the time being...

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0