Re: [LUG] Exeter Fun Day - Who's coming and can you bring... - funds

> A couple of years back (or maybe it was only last year) we had a meeting
> at the old church when I brought 4 laptops and an ltsp server which
> happily ran off a (solar charged) battery for 1 hour. Solar panels are
> expensive and have a little bit of a portability problem and can get
> damaged easily when in "high volume kid zones" or in transit, so careful
> placement is needed as well as good sunlight, generators are probably
> more reliable, but very noisy and wind turbines have the the kid safe
> issue in reverse, the thought of kids colliding with turbines doesn't
> make for a very pretty sight, neither does the look on the H&S officers
> face when he knocks on the door.
>
> So out of the 3 solar is probably the preferable. However you need a
> high yield solar panel to keep up with the demands of a server and
> probably even the laptops can be a little bit demanding. Higher yield
> solar panels require protection circuitry to protect the batteries from
> overcharging etc....... so the solar configuration can fast become very
> expensive. As yet I have not seen any government grants for providing
> solar power at "remote" venues......
>
> However the more venues we "parade" at the more justification for
> sourcing, maintaining and contributing to such equipment with the
> purpose of promoting the use of GNU/Linux and floss initiatives.
>
> Tom
>
> --

The old monastary,  afaik it will cost us £35 for the day,  they are
happy for us to meet there,  however for such a meet to happen we need
to justify the cost it would have to be an event on the lines of what we
did at the university,  i.e a whole day with lots of things going on,
and people with set jobs, etc,

With current lug meets we meet up and chat,  so we can do that
anywhere,   again its in Paignton,  but as yet, apart from Plymouth
which neil S is working on and a venue in Holswothy we don't have ANY
other places.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Software Freedom day 21st September 2008

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug