Re: [LUG] Exeter Fun Day - Who's coming and can you bring... - funds

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> Simon Waters wrote:

>>> Rob did all the difficult bits.
>>>
>>> It arrived today - looks good - looks like the art work (which I guess
>>> is a good start) - didn't come with an invoice (even better ;-).
>>>
>>> So I'll guess I'll be along early on Saturday.
>>>
>>> Although I may not stay long: things to do(?), places to go(?), nappies
>>> to change(!).
>>>
>>> Yet another of the obligatory baby pictures:
>>>
>>> http://simon.350.com/page.htm
>>>
>>> I don't know if Isaac is coming, he hasn't shown much interest in free
>>> software yet.
>>>
>>>  Simon
>>>

>> Great will be good to see you Simon.  I was thinking long term, now
>> we're starting to get this kit maybe we could look at other events
>> possibly.  It would be great if we could get some green solution for
>> power too, IIRC Bristol Wireless had some sort of solar panel, not sure
>> if it's expensive.
>>

> Can be rather expensive for solar power,  you may need the inverter
> thing too, but I am sure tom B has one of those which he can attach to a
> car battery so it may be possible to use the same sort of inverter.

A couple of years back (or maybe it was only last year) we had a meeting
at the old church when I brought 4 laptops and an ltsp server which
happily ran off a (solar charged) battery for 1 hour. Solar panels are
expensive and have a little bit of a portability problem and can get
damaged easily when in "high volume kid zones" or in transit, so careful
placement is needed as well as good sunlight, generators are probably
more reliable, but very noisy and wind turbines have the the kid safe
issue in reverse, the thought of kids colliding with turbines doesn't
make for a very pretty sight, neither does the look on the H&S officers
face when he knocks on the door.

So out of the 3 solar is probably the preferable. However you need a
high yield solar panel to keep up with the demands of a server and
probably even the laptops can be a little bit demanding. Higher yield
solar panels require protection circuitry to protect the batteries from
overcharging etc....... so the solar configuration can fast become very
expensive. As yet I have not seen any government grants for providing
solar power at "remote" venues......

However the more venues we "parade" at the more justification for
sourcing, maintaining and contributing to such equipment with the
purpose of promoting the use of GNU/Linux and floss initiatives.

Tom