Re: [LUG] Data centre in Cornwall

Kai Hendry wrote:
> I think there is a tendency for people to go a little over the top with
> data centres especially in the UK. In Finland the co-location facility /
> data centre was basically an old disused factory. No raised flooring, no
> proper air conditioning (compared to Docklands). The UPS only worked a
> couple of minutes whilst signalling people to shutdown ASAP.

I actually think you're right.

However - a lot of companies who host their websites or other servers in
these places insist of 100% uptime. Without over-speccing power, cooling
and having strict access policies they can't get anywhere near that.

That said, I'm sure there's a very big market for people who are very
happy with 99% uptime, especially if you offer colo. I know I've had to
refuse colo in the past because I was unwilling to drag a server from
Devon to London to plug it in but would have done one if local. (Which
there may well be by now)

And as long as providing the infrastructure is not too expensive (or
even impossible), running costs must be significantly smaller than a
london base.

--
Simon Avery