Re: [LUG] Data centre in Cornwall

On 2008-07-29T11:14+0100 Paul Sutton wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center
> is useful for anyone wondering what a Data Centre actually is,   makes
> useful reading.
> Is there a skills base you can draw on to help run the centre,  you
> don't want to find you can't get the skilled staff,  are you willing to
> take on non skilled staff and actually train them, rather than what most
> companies do which is to whinge about lack of skills.  What skills are
> needed. ?

Couple of good points raised. I can draw on my own experience from a
popular and successful co-location facility in Helsinki, Finland and
working in the Docklands, London.

I think there is a tendency for people to go a little over the top with
data centres especially in the UK. In Finland the co-location facility /
data centre was basically an old disused factory. No raised flooring, no
proper air conditioning (compared to Docklands). The UPS only worked a
couple of minutes whilst signalling people to shutdown ASAP.

The pictures on the Website http://www.pannuhuone.fi/ are stock photos
or at least not the one which was used by all the startups. Pannu huone
translates to boiler room. In fact I think part of the data centre is in
an old factory boiler room.

I would model my setup on what I've seen in Helsinki. However the
Cornish data center would be (don't laugh) in a barn (a sealed off
part), though with an air conditioning unit.

Since I imagine the data centre would be largely of a "co-location"
sort, the skills required once setup are quite low. I.e. power cycling
type tasks and someone who lived close to the facility to ensure there
is some physical security.

Kind regards,