Re: [LUG] Tunneling to help a remote user

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 19:26 +0100, kevin wrote:
On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 19:16 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> kevin wrote:
> <snip>
> > Thanks Martin,
> > I have tried nmap on the cable modem and got all ports closed am unable
> > to telnet or ftp either, My XP user currently has no Cable modem
> > interface via a browser to set up port forwarding.  I think it's a AC250
> > type.
> >

> If they've just got their PC connected directly to the cable modem (i.e.
> no router in between the PC and modem) then it should forward all ports
> to the PC as technically the PC is on the internet.  It'll probably be
> the internal firewall which is doing the job of blocking ports.  If it's
> the Windows Firewall, it might be easier to get them to install
> ZoneAlarm (the free version) and also VNC.  That way when VNC starts
> it'll ask them if they want to allow VNC to access the internet.  If
> they say yes and then if you connect in, it should pop up saying someone
> is trying to connect.  If they say Yes to that you should get a password
> prompt and then hopefully be able to connect into their PC.
>
> Rob

Thanks I'll give it a go tonight

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Po House, Minions, Liskeard Cornwall PL14 5LE
01579363386

An update on this
I cannot get TightVNC to connect through the Cable modem to WinXp
I have put the VNC ports open on the Xp machine but no luck.

I have looked at a service called CrossLoop 2.0 from crossloop.com
But as usual the service is for Win users only.
So I asked them if a Linux version was available and got this reply!

"not just yet, but we're working on it Kevin.

We should have a version ready in a couple of months.

Vikram

Vikram Subramaniam, VP Products "