Re: [LUG] Tunneling to help a remote user

kevin wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks Martin,
> I have tried nmap on the cable modem and got all ports closed am unable
> to telnet or ftp either, My XP user currently has no Cable modem
> interface via a browser to set up port forwarding.  I think it's a AC250
> type.

If they've just got their PC connected directly to the cable modem (i.e.
no router in between the PC and modem) then it should forward all ports
to the PC as technically the PC is on the internet.  It'll probably be
the internal firewall which is doing the job of blocking ports.  If it's
the Windows Firewall, it might be easier to get them to install
ZoneAlarm (the free version) and also VNC.  That way when VNC starts
it'll ask them if they want to allow VNC to access the internet.  If
they say yes and then if you connect in, it should pop up saying someone
is trying to connect.  If they say Yes to that you should get a password
prompt and then hopefully be able to connect into their PC.

Rob