Re: [LUG] Tunneling to help a remote user

>> Does anyone one have a tried & tested way of helping a stricken, remote
WinXp user from a linux box using tunneling/ vnc?

Kevin

You could try the PCHelpDesk software on the UltraVNC site.

The idea is a "sort of" reverse VNC to get around the Port/Firewall/NAT
issues. You send them a little (pre-configured) server app which they run
on receipt. You run the client on your machine with port-forwarding
configured on your router. The remote server connects to you and because
they initiated the connection, NAT translation allows you through their
firewall.

Both the server and client apps are Windows based. I don't know if the
client will run under wine.

I've had varied success with this setup. The connections seem slower and
not as good quality as  normal VNC (Tight & Ultra) which I use for
corporate support but it does mean I don't have to pre-configure routers
or talk users through it.

I'd be interested to hear about any other "Open Source" solutions to this
situation...

Martin