Re: [LUG] USB barcode reader in X

kevin wrote:

> I have found a very good project on Sourgeforce called Openbravo POS
> written in java it does all I need for Point of sale including MySql
> backend,  apart from the input for barcode scanner.
> it has the usual com1... etc and ttys0
> but i need ttyUSB0 for my setup.

> > > The project works fine with a keyboard wedge type scanner but all
> > > mine are rs232 types its just a compatibility thing.
> > > as usual 99% of the system works and the one thing to make it
> > > perfect is just non-existent!
> >
> > Is your device an RS232 or a USB?  If it's an RS232 and you're
> > connecting it to a RS232-USB adapter... can you not connect it to an
> > actual RS232 port?
> >
> > Grant.
>
> I could but I still dont get the input in a Form
> I hoped there would be more java support for usb input

I'm confused.  You have an RS232 device that you can connect directly
to an RS232 port on your computer?  Your application will happily take
input from /dev/ttyS0?  Then surely if you connect your barcode scanner
directly to the computer on the appropriate serial port (the one that
corresponds to ttyS0) rather than via a USB-RS232 adapter, then could
you not select ttyS0 as the input device from within the application,
thus avoiding all the hassle of getting it to support your USB device?

Grant.