Re: [LUG] USB barcode reader in X

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 18:04 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> kevin wrote:
>
> > I dont have any experience with .jar files
> > can you suggest an editor or is a .jar file compiled?
> >

> If I remember correctly a .jar file is a compiled Java executable (I
> think they are Zipped).  If it's on Sourceforge would it not be possible
> to get the source?
>
> Have they got a mailing list for the software?
Yes I have joined sourceforge but the forums are full of questions about
USB scanners and printers but no answers. The relevant file is the

> My only experience of barcode scanners were with the old PS2 ones which
> basically sent numbers from the barcodes over the PS2 connection (it
> emulated keyboard input).
The project works fine with a keyboard wedge type scanner but all mine are rs232
types
its just a compatibility thing.
as usual 99% of the system works and the one thing to make it perfect is
just non-existent!
> Rob

I have found a sourceforge project
javax.usb
This project allows access to USB devices from Java.
currently trying to setup....
I think it is just a CLASSPATH setting to the .jar file
we 'll see!

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Po House, Minions, Liskeard Cornwall PL14 5LE
01579363386