Re: [LUG] Automake woes

Rob Beard wrote:

> Now the problem is, this program is fairly old.  It's got a Makefile
> which has been created with Automake 1.6.  I've tried with no success
> compiling it on Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian 4.0 but it appears that both
> these distros don't have packages for Automake 1.6.  I see that Debian
> Sarge does have Automake 1.6 but now it's no longer supported.

Sarge still has security support till Lenny is released.

What do you mean "not supported" in this context?

> I wondered, is it easy to convert the Automake files to Automake 1.6?

Should be very easy.

> I had a quick look in the Makefile and it has a line which says...
>
> AUTOMAKE = automake-1.6
>
> Now I wondered if it would be a simple case of altering that line to
> point to automake-1.10?

Maybe, but...

The final Makefile is probably generated automatically from the other
files and you can probably just recreate it will all new shiny settings.

If they are using the GNU tools throughout you do something like...

aclocal
automake --add-missing
autoreconf

Then just rerun configure/make/make install (or whatever) as per usual.