[LUG] Automake woes

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone might possibly be able to help.  I'm in the
process of trying to compile a custom version of Darkice which has been
modified to record audio to disk (it's a radio legal logger system
called DarkLog).

Now the problem is, this program is fairly old.  It's got a Makefile
which has been created with Automake 1.6.  I've tried with no success
compiling it on Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian 4.0 but it appears that both
these distros don't have packages for Automake 1.6.  I see that Debian
Sarge does have Automake 1.6 but now it's no longer supported.

I wondered, is it easy to convert the Automake files to Automake 1.6?

I had a quick look in the Makefile and it has a line which says...

AUTOMAKE = automake-1.6

Now I wondered if it would be a simple case of altering that line to
point to automake-1.10?

Rob