Re: [LUG] Automake woes

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 23:22 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> > I wondered, is it easy to convert the Automake files to Automake 1.6?
>
> Should be very easy.

Only if the .am exists and there are no surprises in the codebase.

With the Makefile.am and configure.ac|.in, the autotools will update but
that does not mean that the package will build, sadly.

> The final Makefile is probably generated automatically from the other
> files and you can probably just recreate it will all new shiny settings.

(as long as the .am files exist)

> If they are using the GNU tools throughout you do something like...
>
> aclocal
> automake --add-missing
> autoreconf
>
> Then just rerun configure/make/make install (or whatever) as per usual.

autoreconf -ifs
libtoolize -f
intltoolize -f

(Never update the autotools without also updating libtool.)

There's also a gotcha with intltool (>= 0.40):

for file in intltool-merge.in intltool-extract.in intltool-update.in; do
        if [ -L $file ] || [ -f $file ]; then
                rm -f $file
        fi
done

glib-gettextize -f
intltoolize -f
gnome-doc-prepare -f
autoreconf -ifs -W none

echo "Now you can run ./configure --enable-error-on-warning
--enable-compile-warnings "

(glib-gettextize is the GNOME / GLib replacement for intltoolize but it
still depends on intltool and gnome-doc-prepare is another config macro
that needs to be updated for packages that use it.) (The snippet comes
from the ./autogen.sh script for one of my upstream packages.)

--

Neil Williams