Re: [LUG] OT Free-sat

On 15/05/08 10:39:49, viv wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 08:32 +0100, george wrote:> I've been reviewing my TV aerial
> requirements to get the best digital > reception and I noticed the blurb on
> free-sat TV.  As I see it I can get a > satellite dish from Amazon for about £25,
> probably a satellite finder/signal > strength meter for £9 and a freesat box from
> Argos for £50 which will give me > 80 channels.  The box will probably come down
> in the next few months after > volume sales.  And I can say goodbye to poor
> reception.> > Have I got this right?  Has anyone else tried this?> > George>
> George - I have another question related to yours, if anyone knows aboutthis ?
> When we bought our house, the previous owners left behind their old Skybox and
> satellite dish. We have never subscribed but, get some of thefree channels (I
> don't think we get as many as we would get with afreesat box). I was wondering if
> there would be any benefits in usupgrading the old box to a newer freesat one ?
> Viv

OK, he are some of the differences that I know of...

Sky subscription
Needs no infomation, we all know about this one.

fresatfrom sky.
one off £20 purchase of a card, lets you access the Sky EPG, gives most useful
channels C4, C5, MORE4 E4 and all the others that are FTA and FTV.

fresat (the new thing)
Don't really need to buy anything, don't get C5 yet, but do get C4, MORE4 E4 etc.

A PCI Card + a PC same as above.

The only difference between sky and fresat is the EPG.
Sky box's use Sky's EPG and can't use freesat's EPG
Freesat use freesat's EPG and can't use Sky's EPG.

If you have a dish on the wall build a mythtv box or ask on FC for a old Sky box, or
buy a new freesat box.

(At least that's the way I understand it)

I went mythtv a few years ago, it's brill.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\