Re: [LUG] OT Free-sat

Quoting viv <vivi.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> When we bought our house, the previous owners left behind their old Sky
> box and satellite dish. We have never subscribed but, get some of the
> free channels (I don't think we get as many as we would get with a
> freesat box). I was wondering if there would be any benefits in us
> upgrading the old box to a newer freesat one ?
>
> Viv

As far as I know the majority of channels on Freesat are also on Sky
(what you get from Sky when you don't subscribe).  Saying that though,
if you have a high-def TV then a box upgrade would give you a better
picture quality (it upscales standard def channels, and it has some HD
channels).  There is also the option to get a dual tuner box with a
hard drive in there so you can watch one programme whilst recording
something else although if you only have a single cable running to the
existing box you'd need to run another cable and have a dual lnb or
quad lnb fitted which is something you could attempt yourself or ask a
satellite TV installe to do (I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much - I
managed to get a new dish, quad LNB and 2 cables installed for £50
when I was living in Derby).

Rob