Re: [LUG] OT Free-sat

Quoting george <georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I've been reviewing my TV aerial requirements to get the best digital
> reception and I noticed the blurb on free-sat TV.  As I see it I can get a
> satellite dish from Amazon for about £25, probably a satellite finder/signal
> strength meter for £9 and a freesat box from Argos for £50 which will give me
> 80 channels.  The box will probably come down in the next few months after
> volume sales.  And I can say goodbye to poor reception.
>
> Have I got this right?  Has anyone else tried this?
>
> George

Sounds about right.  I'm not sure if the box includes a dish or not, I
believe there is the 'option' to pay about £80 for installation, so
that might include the dish & cables.

Might be worth giving it a try, although I'd suggest getting a good
quality digital satellite grade coax cable (there's cheap stuff and
then the good stuff with the foam cushoning inside).  You'd also need
F-connectors and an LNB.  You could go for a single LNB to start with
which would feed one standard receiver, or maybe opt for a quad LNB
which would give that future expandability for a receiver with dual
tuners, and either another box with dual tuners or two single tuner
standard boxes (or if you have a Hi-def TV, a MythTV box with a DVB-S2
tuner which will pick up the Hi-def channels).

Installation isn't too hard, it can just be a pain to get the dish at
the right angle.  My dad had a go at doing my dish (I don't like
heights) and he could only manage 19.2 degrees East rather than
28.2/28.5 degrees east which Freesat & Sky use.

If suggest checking out the Digital Spy Forums at
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/

The Digital Spy forums have a section covering Satellite TV and I'm
sure there would be lots of people on there who could advise what to
get and where to go to get the best prices.

Rob