Re: [LUG] OT Free-sat

Quoting martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> And also:
>
> Do you need to have an HD TV or can the receivers downgrade the HD signal
> to standard definition?

You don't need a HD TV to get the majority of the channels, not sure
if the HD box would scale down HD stuff to standard def, although I'd
assume the standard def £50 box would not support HD stuff anyway due
to HD being mainly MPEG4 rather than MPEG2.  At least existing
standard def boxes don't appear to support HD video even scaled down.

> I live in a listed building so can't have a dish on the outside of the
> house. Will dishes work OK if placed in the loft?

A satellite dish will most probably not work in a loft although I seem
to remember seeing somewhere that there are ways of getting around
this, have a look at this which might help...
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/archive/t-27618.html

Rob