Re: [LUG] TV viewing in Linux

On 10/04/08 02:59:48, Simon Robert wrote:
> I know this is a rather late contribution to this thread, but I've been
> away. The last, but rather technical, word on this type of stuff is
> www.linuxtv.org which is where the people who write the drivers hang out.
>
> Kevin Lucas wrote:
> >
> > Julian Hall wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I have a Winfast VC100 capture card and Xandros 3.02.  The card doesn't
> >> have to actually 'capture' as the video source is my external DVR.  It
> >> just needs to display the input coming from the DVR so I can *watch* TV
> >> on the PC.
> >>
> >> The card has a BT878 chipset, and the card number (for the bttv module)
> >> is 114[1].  From what I have read, 'the kernel either needs
> >> or [I] need to recompile the kernel with |CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV |and
> >>
> >> I don't seem to have the videodev.o, bttv.o or tuner.o, ||||and
> >> doesn't have the relevant bits enabled., however running lsmod does show
> >> bttv loaded with several other modules linked into it.
> >>
> >> First question.  I'm not nailed to Xandros, so would it be recommended
> >> to just change distro to a more recent one such as Ubuntu that does have
> >> the kernel mods already enabled?
> >>
> >> Secondly, I have a TV app called tvtime which runs, but shows a blue
> >> screen.  When I click the option to change the video source nothing
> >> happens, so I'm inclined to think that the source isn't coming from the
> >> card due to the kernel issues and/or bttv not configured.  The default
> >> source is apparently /dev/video0, but a quick look in /dev shows that
> >> device doesn't exist.  Another clue to something having gone pear-shaped.
> >>
> >> Any advice on where to proceed to get the card working would be
> >> appreciated :)
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >>
> >> Julian
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/BTTV/cards.html
> >> [2] http://www.linuxdig.com/howto/ldp/BTTV.php#ss4.2
> >>

> > This link gave me the will to persevere with my Huppage TV card it now
> > works fine with Caffeine  for Digital TV and Video input. It took two
> > weeks though so be patient.
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_saa7134
> > <http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_saa7134>
>
> --

If you only want to watch the feed I would take the easy option and just buy one of
those tuner to vga type box's (Turn your pc into a TV type things)

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\