Re: [LUG] Still learning about Bittorrent.

jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi, I've recently been trying to pick up bittorrent. I found this site where
> it was explained;
> BitTorrent is not like other peer-to-peer applications (such as Winmx,
> Kazaa, Gnutella, etc.) in that it does not have its own "universe." Put
> another way, BT lives on top of the Web, which means that all of the
> searching/listing of available files is done on the web. When you find a
> file you want to download, you click on it and the BitTorrent client program
> will run and ask you where to put it,
> ....if this is right then does this not make Bittorrent just like a download
> manager? When I use Limewire I often find obscure techno music that I'm sure
> a google searchg wouldn't find. Why should I use bit torrent?
> Cheers, Jon.

You can find all sorts of stuff on Bit Torrent using sites such as
Mininova.org and PirateBay.org.  Some of it is legal and some of it
isn't so it's up to you if you go and have a look at these sites.

Bit Torrent is more than just a download manager.  The files are stored
on individual users computers just like LimeWire/WinMX etc and when you
download something you're also making the file available to others who
can download chunks of it from your machine.  This is where it differs.
  A download manager just downloads where as Bit Torrent downloads and
uploads.

Part of the idea I think is to ease the load on servers.  For instance
when a new Fedora DVD comes out it's about 3GB or so.  If 100 people
download that 3GB ISO from a site then it's going to hammer the poor
server.  If however they use BitTorrent then the ISO can be downloaded
from hundreds if not thousands of machines which means a higher speed
download and less strain on the main Fedora servers.  Even if each
client machine only uploads 1K per second, connecting to a few hundred
machines soon speeds the downloads for the users downloading.

Rob