Re: [LUG] TV viewing in Linux

Simon Robert wrote:
> I know this is a rather late contribution to this thread, but I've been
> away. The last, but rather technical, word on this type of stuff is
> www.linuxtv.org which is where the people who write the drivers hang out.
>
> In any recent kernel the drivers should be present or at least
> potentialy present. Did you add this card after installing xandros? If
> so it maybe that the drivers weren't included, if you can reinstall
> xandros the card may be detected and the drivers "switched on".
>
> If you can't reinstall and the drivers are in the kernel you can rebuild
> it. This would be by grabbing the source from the xandros repository and
> then doing a rebuild using the most guized app available to select the
> options to include modules. Infact if xandros uses synaptic you could
> simply opt to install an upgrade to the kernel or just reinstall the
> current one. This should rebuild for you detecting whatever hardware is
> around.
>

> Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

One of the more annoying things I find with Xandros is the lack of
feedback during the boot process.  When I first used Linux I had
Mandrake 9.0 and that scrolled through masses of information on the
screen.  As I got a bit more knowledgeable I could pick out the bits
that were important so it was useful.  In Xandros all I get on screen is
file systems'which as far as detail goes is next to useless.  The only
way to get more information is to use the Expert option which does give
you more.

The reason I mention the above is that I tried the Expert option
yesterday and I did see the bttv module loading, so obviously it's doing
*something*.  Precisely what is a much deeper issue ;)  Originally when
I used modprobe I did 'modprobe bttv card=114' which I presume has told
BTTV that every time it loads tthe card it is looking for is the Winfast
one I have, since other sources I found listed my card as 114.  So I'm
*fairly* confident BTTV is loading properly.

I'll have a poke around Google etc using Xandros and BTTV as search terms.

Kind regards,

Julian