Re: [LUG] Pondering upon Debian

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 07:31 +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2008 21:11, tom wrote:
>
> > RedHat, Suse, Ubuntu could all vanish tomorrow because they rely on
> > financial model, Debian however only requires the good will of the
> > community and that is a lot harder to kill.
> RedHat, Suse and Canonical could fail tomorrow - this would NOT affect the
> above distributions.
> There may be some name changes to avoid Trademark laws  (ala
> Firefox/Iceweasel) but there is absoultely no reason why these distributions
> could not carry on as Debian does.
> They will all be very hard to kill - their software is free, not tied to the
> 'parent' company. If they have the user support their distributions wil
> continue  - they just wont have a company that thinks they're going to get
> money out if free software 'leading/controlling/restricting...' the
> distribution. They dont need almost religious self belief to continue - just
> an active user base.
> Tom te tom te tom

I agree. I remember reading an interview LF did with SuSE about their
commitment to keeping their version of Linux going no matter what
happened to or who took over the company.
They have some clause that says a free version will always b available
which led to opensuse.

I thought that was the same reason Redhat became Fedora.
Both are community versions that although using software from Suse/RH
etc can carry on independently

Ray