Re: [LUG] Pondering upon Debian

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 08:15 +0000, Ray Smith wrote:
> I agree. I remember reading an interview LF did with SuSE about their
> commitment to keeping their version of Linux going no matter what
> happened to or who took over the company.
> They have some clause that says a free version will always b available
> which led to opensuse.

You don't need a clause.

The GPL specifically requires that this is always possible. The only
things that can be a problem are things that are not linked against the
GPL'd code - things like branding, icon sets, maybe one or two specific
config routines that are only linked against the LGPL. (Which is another
reason not to use the LGPL or BSD licences).

The issue is that the GPL does not cover the infrastructure of the
project itself.

> I thought that was the same reason Redhat became Fedora.

In effect, but the clause you are thinking of is the GPL itself.

Read the details of a similar fork here:
http://femm.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/

> Both are community versions that although using software from Suse/RH
> etc can carry on independently

True.

Any collection of GPL/LGPL/BSD (i.e. DFSG compliant) software can be
perpetually forked by anyone who fancies doing the work. No permission
is needed, there is no way of anyone stopping the fork from happening
(as long as trademarks are respected) and there is nothing that the
parent company can do about it. RH, SuSE and others know all this so
they "adopt" the community version just to make life easy.

The community version will and would have existed anyway, with or
without the sponsoring - it would just have not had the infrastructure
support (mirrors, websites, mailing lists, IRC etc.).

*THAT* is what could disappear from underneath Fedora or OpenSuSE. It
would cause a fair scramble for web resources and quite a bit of chaos
but I'm sure the community could sort it out. It is simply a matter of
desire from the community - if the will is there to sustain it, it will
be sorted. After all, if the community migrates to something else, the
distro would die anyway - no matter what the company wants.

*BSD and Debian have an independent infrastructure that is not beholden
to anyone - it is all sponsored or donated. It means that there is no
threat of removing all the infrastructure in one disastrous email
exchange.

The vendor independence just means that the people within the group have
the freedom to choose how the distribution will be managed and packaged.

Ironically, it is precisely the issue with iceweasel that indicates the
vendor independence benefits - Mozilla was trying to dicate to Debian
how Debian software had to be managed via trademarks and Debian simply
said "no" in a collected voice. (i.e. there were debates within Debian
about how to respond and the consensus was a firm rebuttal.)

Currently, there could be questions of whether Fedora or OpenSuSE would
ever say the same thing to a third-party company that had some kind of
contract with RedHat/SuSE. Yes, Fedora could drop RH but the chaos that
would ensue means that such a step will not be taken lightly or without
a great deal of preparation. In effect, Debian have already made the
leap.

--

Neil Williams