Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

Eion MacDonald wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Eion MacDonald <eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>  Major problem with most Gnu/Linux distros for newbies is the loss of a
>>>  default MS Windows while they dual boot on a Linux kernal upgrade, even
>>>  in Ubuntu, which is some what easier on upgrades than others. Editing
>>>  GRUB is not for newbies so a 'push' upgrade like last few days  renders
>>>  them with unbootable windows, and only Linux, This is major point to
>>>  teach newbies how to edit grub.
>> Are you saying that on Ubuntu if you upgrade the kernel via apt it
>> kills other grub entries? Eeek Was this upgrade buggy or is this
>> normal? i would not consider this acceptable at all.
>>
>> Robin
>>
> No. Normal default action in Ubuntu since 6.04. I concur not acceptable
> but it exists.
> (In SuSE since 9 - the disto writers/composers think their distro must
> be the default!)
> 1. Ubuntu has an automatic upgrade system, notification, and accept is
> all user does.(like windows)

Yea so does Debian, Ubuntu was based on Debian, i have a gnome applet
that tells me updates are available, pretty sure its a standard gnome tool.

> 2. If kernel upgraded, it needs a reboot. Rewrites GRUB with new Ubuntu
> as the default system. (First entry in Grub menu.1st)
> This overwrites the old Grub with windows as default i.e first active
> choice in menu.1st

Debian does NOT do this it does it a lot more intellegently. When you
install Debian, non Debian bootable partitions are recorded in a
different section of the menu.lst to the Debian partitions/kernels :- an
excet from menu.lst

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

Windows, and other installed systems do not get added between the
markers (at initial install) so never get screwed up. You still need a
reboot.

> 3. For this reason, which has occurred too many times for me to see as
> an intermittent problem, if using Ubuntu or SuSE (she prefers SuSE as a
> second system ),my wife never responds to 'updates available' button in
> Ubuntu leaving for me to update.
> SuSE is same, but much easier to correct, as it will allow default
> selection in YaST and ordering of list without editing GRUB manually.

If Debian can do it right but Ubuntu screws your boot, file a bug
against Ubuntu, its broken. I've never had any such trouble with Debian,
i still don't know why it perceived as difficult to use.

Robin