Re: [LUG] Helping newbies - magaznes

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 13:38 +0000, Kevin Lucas wrote:

> This is a Link for Free Software Mag with a subject close to our
> hearts

> http://www.fsdaily.com/EndUser/The_Top_50_Proprietary_Programs_that_Drive_You_Crazy_and_Their_Open_Source_Alternatives
Excellent resource and responses giving some better options. I am sure
we can use this list to give to people. I shall certainly be helping a
friend with a firewall and anti-virus before giving her a Live CD and
installing for her.

There seems to be some confusion about whether all the alternatives
actually work with Windows, which presumably is the purpose of the page
m(though some read it differently). Like K3b - it is for Unix based
systems optimised for KDE - not a Windows prgramme AFAIK.

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk